Information Needed for the Marriage Application

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Apply for a marriage license online! 

Effective August 15, 2016, couples may apply for a marriage license by completing and submitting an online application.  Please see below for additional instructions and specific information you will need to know to complete the marriage application. 

Brides need:

A Rubella blood test or a doctor’s statement regarding sterilization submitted on the State of Montana, Premarital Certificate and signed by a physician, OR both parties may read and sign an Informed Consent/Waiver, which waives the requirement for the medical certification of blood testing for rubella immunity. (Required by the State of Montana for all females under 50 years of age.) Parties may choose to complete the Informed Consent/Waiver and bring it with them when they appear at the Clerk of Court office to obtain their marriage license.  The form is also available in the Clerk of Court office. 

Brides and grooms need:

$53 cash, Visa, MasterCard or Discover (no checks). Note: If paying by credit or debit card there is a 1.995% + $1.25 processing fee.

Identification indicating proof of age (i.e., driver's license, picture ID, certified copy of birth certificate or passport). Both parties must be at least 18 years of age. If either party is under the age of 18, please see the 'Requirements for a Marriage License for Minors' page.

Birth city, county, state or foreign country of applicants

Father's first, middle and last name along with current city and state of residence

Mother's first, middle and last name along with current city and state of residence

State or foreign country where parents were born

If either party has been married previously, they must know the dates of the previous marriage dissolution or spousal death and the county/state of the occurrence.


NOTE: A marriage license may be obtained in any county in Montana but is valid only in Montana.