Understanding the Permitting Process
When applying for construction permits in Missoula County, it's recommended that you first visit each of the following three divisions for department-specific information and requirements regarding the details of your project. If you have questions or would like help with this recommendation, you may call (406) 258-3702 for assistance. **You may also click here to view the residential construction flowchart.**
- Public Works - located at 6089 Training Drive in Missoula, Montana.
The Building Division reviews construction plans to ensure they comply with current building codes adopted by the State of Montana. The Building Division also starts most Missoula County permits including building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, land use/zoning compliance, address/approach and excavation.
- Community And Planning Services (CAPS) - located at 323 W Alder Street in Missoula, Montana.
- Open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call their office at (406) 258-4642.
The Community and Planning Services division reviews zoning compliance permits for land issues, subdivision compliance, flood plain/shoreline, sign permits that do not require a building permit, and fire safety.
- Missoula City-County Health Department - located at 301 W Alder Street in Missoula, Montana.
- Open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.. Call their office at (406) 258-4990.
The Missoula City-County Health Department administers and reviews well and septic permits to ensure they comply with current MDEQ (Montana Department of Environmental Quality) adopted codes. They also regulate and license commercial kitchens.
For information on Submittal Requirements and to Schedule Inspections Contact the Building Department at (406) 258-3701.